Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Forget Diamonds, a Girl's Best Friend is her Hair

As I am a girl myself, I would know (please refrain from snarky comments here).

Unfortunately, although I do value how my hair looks, I have neither the knowledge nor the skills to make mine presentable for public eyes most of the time. My "hair care" consists of brushing my hair wildly when I wake up and sticking in a hair band or a few clips. If I miraculously happen to wake up early enough, I'll attempt to capture all the loose strands in a lousy ponytail. Usually my brushing motion is quite aggressive, hence you will find a lot of random hair strands on my floor AND I will probably experience premature baldness in my life. Oh well. Other notable events in my hair's sad lifespan include being dyed at least 4 times: purple, brown, red, and other subtle colours. I don't understand why some Asians ever bother going for blonde--it's just not right. Recently, I also got a perm because I got tired of my boring straight hair. It didn't quite turn out as amazing as Hollywood actresses advertise it as, but thankfully it's not TOO noticeable unless you happen to catch me a few hours right after showering.

In terms of chemical products, I just use Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner (2 in 1). My parents bought me a hair curler for Christmas or my birthday a few years ago, and I've used it about...a maximum of 10 times. Mostly because my hair turned out really puffy or didn't last that long. I don't understand how some girls are willing to wake up hours before school JUST to curl their hair or put moussing/fixative chemical in their hair. I lack the skills and the will power to wake up early enough for that kind of daily commitment. After weighing the costs vs. the benefits, it just doesn't seem worth it, but that's just me.

If I can't do anything about the way I treat my hair, then why am I complaining? I guess I wanted to communicate that a girl's hair plays a huge role in terms of her appearance. Assuming the average girl doesn't have an unnaturally oversized chest or derriere, most of the public's attention will be drawn to her lovely face and the more subtle but largely influential hair framing it. You can't deny that hair plays a vital role in the appearance of males as well as females. After all, why would we bother having specialized men's, women's, and children's hair salons if we thought a simple basement trim by our parents would suffice? Actually, my parents used to do that---but don't worry, they're just Asian like that. If you have ever seen pictures of my hair when I was younger, you would have a better idea about the horror I am referring to in my prior claim (*ahem mushroom).

Back on topic...just adding highlights, streaks of colour, a few curls, or even bangs can make a huge difference in a girl's appearance, depending on whether they're going for a cute, classy, mature, professional, creative, wild, etc...image. Just think of all your friends that wear subtle, neutral clothes that you hardly notice. When they get their hair done for semi or something they look totally different. That's partly what makes these events so fun. :) Other special occasions that may call for a specific hairstyle include school socials (e.g. prom, dances), job interview, party, or simply daily wear. Since I am still in the process of getting more in touch with my double X chromosomes, I cannot really explain the entire mystery of feminine hair to the guys (in fact, I still don't undertsand why girls with straight hair envy curly hair and girls with curly hair envy straight hair, myself included). However, let me tell you that you can never lose by complimenting a girl on her hair. More effort goes into it than you would expect.

6 comments:

  1. This may be irrelavent to the post but previous to what you said, i mentioned that when a girl likes a guy they don't give out enough hints, i completely agree that her best action is to pretend like nothing has happened and i condemn those guys who think it's not their fault. Also I don't appreciate you using my life as an example there are things which are meant to be kept private. This is only my opinion and you have every right to disagree i'm not here to make anyone happy. You may be one who expresses herself differently when you fancy a guy but others are not so open to the idea, just because you are an exception doesn't mean i'm wrong. Also guys aren't any better but at least we are brave enough to ask when we're totally in the dark instead of waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I completely agree that her best action is to pretend like nothing has happened if she does not like him"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hair! Can be such a nusicance for me.

    I use lush products... so good.. but kinda expensive!

    I use my curler for my bangs.. but I generally have ugly hair though.. (don't comb it).. haha

    Anyways.. once my hair is long enough, I kinda want to dread it and keep my bangs. I made some test dreads but my mom combed it out after two weeks... haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah hair xD lol the same thing apply to guys but most of us just don't admit it. We can be pretty fussy with our hair depending on what style we usually go with. I unfortunately can't do anything with my hair cause i don't have any hair to do anything to, but that's besides the point xP would be fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, personal opinion but i think you should curl your hair more often christie, like not all of it, but the tips it looks good from what i can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, Keyan. Well since I got a perm, I don't really have a choice now. My hair is mostly wavy, tips and all.

    ReplyDelete