Sunday, August 30, 2009

These Shoes Were Made For Walking

As part of my ongoing process of becoming girlier, I have developed a plaguing shoe fetish over the past couple years. Whenever I walk into a shoe store or a thrift/bargin store, I always make sure to take at least a quick glance at their shoe section. Prior to becoming more materialistic about shopping, especially for shoes, I used to think it was ridiculous for women to be obsessed with shoes. I was only used to buying the cheapest running shoes but still from quality stores like Sportcheck or National Sports. Occasionally, I would buy a pair of those boring but funtional sandals with all the velcro strapping. Only recently did I finally find a pair of thong flipflops that were comfortable. Btw, a lot of flipflops are pretty uncomfortable and unsuitable for walking around a lot. I found a nice pair at the Square One Nike store. Btw, my mom also used to make me buy a pair of dress shoes for concerts and whatever...not really exciting for me. Anyways, shoes smell bad and nobody really sees your feet--at least that was my opinion back when I was young and naive.

I don't really know when my shoe fetish started, but I have gradually started paying more attention to how shoes looked as well as to how they felt. My mom always insisted that comfort is #1 in shoes, but now I know better ;), just kidding. My favourite shoes to shop for are flipflops, flats, boots, and heels. However, seeing as how I still have some inkling of realism in me, I rarely buy heels for myself. Sure there's the rare excuse of a special school or family event (e.g. prom), but otherwise heels are pretty impractical. Still, you can't blame them for being awesome in terms of their visual appeal, added height, and satisfying clacking sounds on cold floor tiling. My favourite heels are peep toes, as inspired by my dear cousin. Speaking of the audio appeal of shoes, I believe women enjoy their shoes making sounds as they walk, as if it's announcing their approach. This isn't just true for heels but also flipflops. Ladies like flipflops over those strapped in sandals because it's easier to put on, there is less stuff covering your sweating feet, and, most importantly, it "flips" and "flops". I myself have experienced and come to understand the value of this wondrously satisfying sound. Lately, I've been the most obsessed with flats because they're so cute looking, easy to put on, and the most practical out of the stylish shoe types. I currently own 5 pairs of flats; I believe I have been quite successful in restraining my materialistic desires. Lastly, boots are just plain awesome. They're so useful in the winter for hiking around in deep layers of snow. Besides, it makes walking to winter classes so much more fun if your pants aren't damp against your bare skin. -_-" Why not make it slightly more aesthetically appealing than your average boots?

Anyway, I just wanted to share my budding love for shoes in this light post. Don't take my "materialism" too seriously because I still have a brain somewhere in my head and I'm not COMPLETELY obsessed with shoes. Just because you buy prettier shoes, it doesn't mean you have to spend a LOT more money. Go to any outlet mall or mini shopping plaza; there is bound to be a shoe store around with a bunch of great bargain opportunities!

2 comments:

  1. i also like buying shoes.. some of my shoes are very pretty but somewhat un-functional. Some of my interesting shoes include white platform creepers ( like the one here http://www.hotfootshoes.com/data/CMA9C65BD61070312427-166 )... somewhat uncomfortable because it makes me very tall but that's one reason why i love them. Also have some sick cow boy boots that are a little bit too big for me because i have very small feet, and I also have some black knee high boots with buckles that are also pretty cool, but I'm usually too lazy to lace em up.

    ReplyDelete