Sunday, September 6, 2009

I'm Breaking the Habit Tonight

If you haven't noticed, I'm trying to cover things that I included in my profile description, so that I can shorten it. Today's topic is habits throughout my growth. WOW do I sound like some kind of lecturer...

Anyone who knows me or has ever seen me in person knows that I have no nails. Sadly, I am the worst nail biter I know--and by worst I mean addicted. I have been able to cut the habit for about three months at a time. During those few months of sweet (but not taken for granted) victory, I put on lots of nail polish and do my fake homemade french manicures. Then the vicious disease comes right back. Not that nails taste good either, but I just can't stop. I bite when I'm nervous, when I'm preoccupied with something else, sometimes I even stop responding on MSN because I can't type with one hand on the keyboard and one hand in my mouth--I bite pretty much whenever I'm not fully engrossed in something or even when I'm TOO engrossed. -_-" Basically whenever, and it's a pretty serious thing I guess, especially when there are serious germs going around (e.g. H1N1 virus). My parents are always nagging me to "take your finger out of your mouth...Now away from your face. blahblahblah..." I don't know if this is part of my extremely mild OCD or what, but whenever I look at my nails, they don't look symmetrical, there's always a little hangnail sticking out, or some other reason to coat my fingers with saliva. Yeah, gross, I know. If you see me with my finger in my mouth, slap my hand then hand me a nail clipper pronto or else it'll just keep going back in.

Like any other human being, I also had weird habits when I was younger. From what my parents tell me, my brother used to run into walls...explains his brilliance---or lack thereof... Anyways, I assume most people had a cherished "blankie". I LOVED my blankie (or at least from what my parents tell me, seeing as how I remember almost nothing from my childhood). Apparently, I LOVED it so much that my parents had to throw it out because I was chewing it up. My mom said I cried when blankie was captured and lost to me forever. At least he's moved onto a better place now.

A few years older (thought not sure about maturer), I began to eat my hair.

Hold on, I wasn't some weird kid who actually DIGESTED my hair, but my side bangs were JUST long enough to reach my mouth. I used to put that in my mouth, and it would get all crusty. Don't ask why I did that; it's probably because my brain had not yet fully formed at such a young age.

Also, I used to lick my lips a lot, and my mouth was always dry, itchy, and swollen. Yeah, I'm a pretty gross human being, I know. My dad ended up bringing home some serious lip cream. No, it wasn't lip balm or any of that amateur stuff; this was LIP CREAM...some ointment that I had to smear on my lips. After a while, my lips sort of went back to normal, but I had all this greasy stuff on my mouth. It didn't even taste that good. :P

Anyways, a common trend that I realized in all my different habits is that I like putting things in/irritating my mouth. Maybe this is somehow related to my love of eating. Who knows why, I'm just a weirdo?

5 comments:

  1. At least you will never grow hungry

    "I began to eat my hair"

    puhaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol "putting this in my mouth" not even gonna continue that thought process xPPP

    anyways want me to edit this again? I found a mistake ><

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha @ second poster.

    I had a problem with my left thumb sucking.. parents always yelled at me how I was going to ruin my teeth but mine turned out perfect (while my brother suffered through braces).

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Sinthu, me too! When I started biting my nails, my parents were like you're gonna ruin your teeth, but I've never had a cavity or braces or anything more serious than the routinely cleaning appointment. That habit might have even strengthened my teeth...? It's a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Christie, you can actually name the bad habits you've had so that you can break them.
    I get a few glimpse into my past sometimes, so I barely remember anything about my childhood..
    My parents tell me all the time that I used to stay up really late when I was a kid, it's probably true, because I still do.
    Anyway, I guess since you started Uni we've haven't talk much. I heard classes start on the 14th for you, or at least for my friend who's in first year. I've been good, more or less... today was first day of classes for me, it was alright. I'm applying for uni this year, so scared xD lol
    Anyway what's up with you?

    ReplyDelete