Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wake me up when September ends--actually make that December please.

Like the typical teenager, I hate going to bed but once I'm there, I don't like getting up. For anyone who has lived with me or had a sleepover with me, you're probably already familiar with my unresponsiveness to futile wakeup techniques, such as: yelling in my face, people jumping on me, my blanket being taken away, and a blaring radio alarm. I'm not even sure throwing water on my face works, but please don't try it.

On a typical holiday/summer vacation morning, I normally wake up around 10. School days, I aim more for 8, which often fails. Seeing as how school has usually started at 8:30 for the most part of my life, I have gotten used to skipping breakfast, showering in the evening instead of the morning, randomly choosing my daily outfits at the last minute, and brushing my hair once before running out the door. Oh yeah and brushing teeth. A disgusting fact about when I brush teeth: if I eat right before brushing teeth and my stomach isn't totally settled, to keep from swallowing the toothpaste lather, I gag and often throw up my breakfast. Yeah, I know you didn't need to know that, but I figure it's something interestingly unique about myself.

When I sleep, I'm not really picky about the surrounding conditions. Meaning, I can tolerate lights on and even a TV on or people chatting in the background. A few things I DO need are something to hug (e.g. stuffed animal or even a pillow) and I cannot sleep with a quieter buzzing sound in the background (e.g. a radio playing on low). That's kind of weird because I can sleep with louder noises, but not the quiet ones.

In terms of my dreams, I have a lot of bad dreams, rarely a good one. I suppose this has something to do with me being a worrywart and a pessimist. However, my inner love for Charmed and magic from all the fantasy books/movies out there has instilled itself into my subconscious because I often have powers to fight off the bad people who are chasing me in my dreams.

This one recurring dream I have is about me running away from my house because these bad people raided my house to find me. Luckily, my family wasn't there for some reason. Oh and this dream happens at my old house for some reason (in fact I've never had a dream with my current house)...anyway, I have to run through my neighbourhood then I get to an urban area with lots of high buildings. The people chasing me have guns. But if the people in movies never get shot, then why should I? Well basically, the dream continues with me running through lots of buildings, and people are looking at me weirdly because if I run really fast, I can actually start flying, so that's my awesome power in this dream. Well yeah, basically the whole dream is me running away from people with guns, and they tend to fall behind for a bit then catch up. I doubt it sounds half as scary as it actually is.

Another example of a recurring dream is where I'm staying in a hotel with a bunch of other kids (maybe from soccer, maybe from school, I dunno) and some madman with a rifle starts shooting everyone. I manage to survive by falling on the ground beside some dead bodies and pretending to be dead then I stealthily go after him with one of the guns he dropped. Unfortunately, I discover too late that he doesn't die, and yeah those situations are really scary (probably inspired by movies). Other scary dreams involve bad guys that only die a certain way, which is also Dracula/Charmed-inspired because they have to kill some demons in a certain way. Yeah, my dreams are pretty crazy...ALTHOUGH

I have been able to escape from some dreams where I'm just about to die. In fact, my friend Randall was quite obsessed with this concept of "lucid dreaming" for quite some time. Basically, it's where you are able to realize in your dream that you are in a dream and control how it plays out. For me, I was able to tell myself to wake up and escape from the nightmare unharmed. Another situation is where I was able to realize that I was in a dream and that the bad guys couldn't hurt me. Interesting huh?

I'm not sure how common sleepwalking is, but apparently I used to do that when I was younger. I would go into my parents' room and say something to my mom, who is a light sleeper, and head right back to bed. She would ask me about it in the morning, and I wouldn't have a clue what she was talking about.

Another strange fact about my sleeping habits is that when I'm tired, I tend to get really hyper. I suppose I act in a similar manner to how I would act if I was drunk. I've never gotten drunk before, so this supposition remains unverified.

I have experienced a lot of interesting things about sleep, and I wouldn't mind hearing your stories as well. :) (For the boys) just keep it dry...-_-"

5 comments:

  1. EW to the toothpaste thing.

    As for dreams.. I LOVE THE ONES YOU CAN SOMEWHAT CONTROL! I find I have those ones during the intermittent snooze buttoms in the morning. Yes, I do have many dreams inbetweeen snooze clicks, and those are usually the good ones cause I remember them (I'm fresh and just woke up)!

    I like the ones where you have superpowers =] They're very realistic. I had one where I could fly if I focused very hard or something, and it only worked once in a while (this was years ago, and probably dragonballz inspired)

    btw, what do you mean keep it dry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be champ at Diddy Kong Racing (a racing video game). No one could beat me but I always had a terrible re-occurring dreams of crashing my car. Lol silly but those dreams have influenced me NOT to get my G1/G2 driving licenses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best kind of sleep is when you've been up for at least 48 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, you know...-_-"

    LOL Sinthu. I can't stay up for even 24 hours, so unfortunately I have not experienced the bliss of that kind of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yoders! xD
    lol alex.
    That flying concept was a big thing for me when i was younger...haven't had that dream in awhile though.
    Magic! always fun... when used correctly ><

    ReplyDelete