Monday, May 10, 2010

The Latest...in FOOD

So, this post is uncharacteristically short. Mainly because I'm trying to compensate for my previous "double post", and I'm feeling a bit guilty about neglecting my work yet again. Omg, and I even decided to spare unfortunate readers a bit of pain by adding...*GASP visuals.

Wellll, I suppose it's a bit redundant to state it, but I will anyway: CHRISTIE + FOOD = LOVE
I don't just mean a widespread player-like love, but I have certainly enjoyed my share of short and long term relationships (i.e. food fads).


The oldest fad I can remember is good 'ol Cesar salad. Of course, this is the notorious pedophilic vegetable that has managed to be the only vegetable in the hearts of young children. It may be the crisp croutons, the juicy bacon bits, or perhaps the classic Cesar dressing itself. Whatever it is, children cannot avoid being drawn in by its irresistible promises and charm, myself included. Some days, we would go at it--4 or even 5 consecutive servings. I know, I was such a hoe from such a young age (i.e. 10-12).







Years after my puppy love with cesar salad, I met couscous. SOOO GOOD! It's basically a pasta type that is in the form of tiny rice-like granules. It's of Mediterranean origin, I believe--one of my favourite food cultures! YUM. I ate so much couscous for about a month until I got sick of it. I still love it, but I don't think we will ever feel the same about each other again.








I shortly rebounded to sundried tomatoes. YUMYUMYUM!!!!!! Our eyes first met through delicious Italian cuisine, namely my favourite Italian restaurant in Toronto: Terroni's ^-^ We did it everywhere--on crackers, with bread, top(ping)less--you name it, we did it. ;)








You may be interested to hear this scandalous bit of information. I actually started my next relationship midway through the previous one...oops? Can you blame me? Things just sorta...happened while the sun-dried tomatoes sort of lost my interest. The flirting began and what do you know, sparks were flying everywhere. Enter: THE JALAPENO PEPPERS. I'm not even lying, this is an exact picture of the jar I was involved with. I devoured it with pasta, bread, and topless once again.
After a few months of this infatuation, we had a terrible breakup. I don't think I can really touch or even look at him again. From time to time, I'll help myself to a little nibble or enjoy his flavour in a subtler form, but we both know things can never return to the way they once were.


This next little bugger has proven to be a real tease with serious commitment issues. I was first drawn to its pleasing black appearance (right), but when I tasted its distinctive, flavourful inside, I knew I was in love. Little did I know, he didn't really reciprocate those feelings. I was instead passed onto his more envious cousin (below). We had a thing for a few months, and from time to time I would revert between the two. I guess you could say I was a bit of a player--and now? Well, lets just say we're a messed up triangle of friends who offer each other favours/benefits under the table from time to time...I don't think I can really complain, for that would just be plain ungrateful.





After a long history of ups and downs, I have certainly experienced a wide variety of tastes. Even after such a journey, I am still in search of that ONE flavour for me that will love me in sickness, in health, and even beyond death. Until then, let me introduce you to my latest sweetheart. I like to call him "Eggy". Isn't he just the cutest?


8 comments:

  1. lol! I've been making "eggy" a lot lately. A bit different from the one you have in the picture but still the same concept. I see you still like your sun dries..
    food =D oh have you tried the radish dishes? they're like little cubes and they're usually fried. slightly crunchy on the outside but still soft on the inside. yummy stuff when made right

    ReplyDelete
  2. eggplant and squash are my two favouroite vegetables

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keyan, not sure I've had that radish dish before--and not sure I'll like it hehe.

    Sinthu, I love you for loving eggplant, but I think I'm passing on the squash. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol i don't know why everyone hates on squash... it's SOOOO good and pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Well, personally, I didn't like eggplant until a couple years ago because of the mushy texture. Something about MUSHY foods just grosses me out, and I suspect this is why a lot of people also dislike mushrooms (no pun intended).

    Like eggplant, some squash is mushy, but at least eggplant has an amazing taste. Squash not so much lol. Also, I don`t like zucchini for the same "mushy" reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love zucchini too- it's definitely in my top 10 veg! Maybe I just have a thing for mushy vegetables? I like eggplants because they are pretty good at sucking up the flavour of whatever sauce it is in and making it even better

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have different tastes in food (olives and eggplant-wise!)
    Remember my piano teacher from YAPA? Well, she was organizing a holiday party and was planning to order pizza. So she asked me what toppings I wanted. I was trying to be nice when I said "Anything but olives." Well, she went ahead and ordered a pizza with every topping you could name, literally, I think. Except olives.

    ReplyDelete