Monday, May 9, 2011

I'm...unenchanted

So I (finally) just watched the movie Enchanted with my friend John before he left for a lovely two-week vacation in Korea (JEALOUS, btw!). It was okay for a time killer/break from schoolwork/summary of Disney movies. Basically, yeah, it wasn't original at all...combined all the traditional fairytale movies that Disney (?) has already covered.

Upsides:
-The original concept of juxtaposing reality with fantasy was sort of a new idea (if there was any originality at all)
-Patrick Dempsey has a cute face
-There was a bit of magic
-Some of the songs were cute :)

Downsides:
-It just doesn't seem fair to take the credit away from Classic Disney moves and mush it into one big copycat later on
i.e. Enchanted = Snow White + Sleeping Beauty +...more?
-Amy Adams and that guy who plays Cyclops (always forget his name!!) were annoying at times
-The whole moral that the movie was trying to convey was shot down almost immediately after it was established.

--In case you're not sure what I'm talking about, here's what I mean. The main point of the movie was to provide a realistic outlook on life in an optimistic way. A naive, fantasy-crazy damsel in distress, Giselle, awaits her prince's rescue, but eventually learns the importance of being realistic about love and finding it through dating and getting to know someone that you can love "forever". Bad stepmom shows up, kills her, kiss of TRUE love revives her, she awakens, defeats the dragon with her chipmunk friend's help, and lives happily ever after with the REALISTIC love of her life. MEANWHILE, her "true love's" former supposed fiancee who he had been dating for 5 years was dropped just like that and she ran off to lalaland to marry the fairytale prince, who had hardly spoken 3 sentences to her. I really hope children don't watch this. Describing the moral value of this movie in the words of love, I would say Disney is sending "mixed signals".

Since I haven't seen a Disney movie in a LOOOONNNNNG time, I was enjoying the silly humour, funky (though archetypal) characters, and remembering a precious part of my childhood throughout the movie--UNTIL it got to this horrible ending. I'm sorry, but the title of this blog post (spin-off from the popular teen saying, "I'm unimpressed", in case you didn't get it...) summarizes my feelings towards this movie.

P.S. If this movie isn't Disney, I apologize. Just swap all the times I used Disney with words like fairytales, or childhood stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment