Saturday, March 20, 2010

(Spring) Showers

So the weather these days is lovely, but someone told me we are getting snow this weekend. That is terribly unsettling, but I won't let it spoil my mood for the moment. Anyways, that's not really what this post is about.

Here we go: Showers. I'm sorry if you catch me on the wrong day, but I don't shower nearly as often as social convention demands. Typically I shower about once every few days, but only a few years ago was I informed that "normal" people shower daily. Basically, the times whenever my hair gets gross dictate when I take a shower --and here we go back on the path of unfounded opinions, gotta love it...

So why are my showers such a rare and miraculous event? Simple. I don't really feel the need to shower. If I just played soccer or sat in a really hot environment sweating my salts out, then I will be disgusted into taking a shower. Of course, I have to understand that most guys have odour issues, perhaps an effect of their manly pheromones, but what about girls? A lot of girls who just sit around looking pretty--don't really engage in any activity that causes them to break even a drop of sweat--insist on taking a daily shower. WHY? People are always talking about ways to save energy, water, resources, etc. WHY NOT start with hot shower water? Personally, I feel that people can still look good by cleaning themselves up without a daily full-length shower. I hear that many girls take showers without washing their hair--what is the point of this? Showering has evolved from being a simple hygienic survival instinct to another mechanical routine encoded into the great social convention Bible. Can we not tolerate a bit of discomfort everyday? In fact, some of the showers that girls take to just "rinse themselves" take longer than the duration of my full shower (complete with hair washing). If you're not willing to tolerate the minor discomfort, can you at least shorten the time you are spending on this "unofficial" shower?

Understandably, people may argue issues of hygiene and personal health, but I'm sorry that just doesn't cut it for me. You can DEFINITELY survive without a daily shower without contracting some kind of bacterial disease/infection. Looking at the bigger picture, showers are a definite luxury. People survive all around the world by using a little tub of water to clean themselves. Why can't we sacrifice even a few showers to make the ecological difference we so ardently whine about?

Once again, this is just another one of my ridiculous opinions; if you don't like this disturbing revelation about myself, I'm not forcing you to be my friend (refer to BF...F post)--just want to let you know I won't be the only one who stinks.

1 comment:

  1. lol i guess i should call you stinkypoo from now on :P

    ReplyDelete